Wednesday, March 11, 2009

YOOOO, HABIBI'S GONNA ROCK N*GGAS THIS SPRING, SON!!!

Regardless of popular belief (mainly amongst wack-individuals), "the '90's" was a monumentally great decade for numerous reasons, one of those being style. Okay, perhaps the first few years of the decade were a bit rough (ie. that whole Cross Colours thing and the grunge phase), but things did improve. We had the whole Tommy, Polo, Nautica phenomenon. Guess farmers. All white canvas-Air Force 1's. Timberlands were extra thug, but then again, extra thug was in. Army fatigues. Columbia jackets, with the phrase behind the neck...I had "Powder Keg". Eastland boots. Girbauds. Strap-back Ralph Lauren hats. Wally Clarks ("blue n cream"). The latter couple years Avirex's popped. Rugbys. Fisherman hats...one side tilted up. Skully's with the brim. I could go on, and on, and on, and on....and if I did, I'd have to mention the Helly Hansen jacket craze. A lot of my friends and other NY'ers absolutely jumped-on the Helly Hansen jacket fad after seeing a half-braided Method Man rocking one while running from the police in 1995's "I'll Be There For You/You're All I Need To Get By", a song featuring Mary J. Blige.



I owned a fly version. In fact, I've only seen the one I owned once. Couple of my dudes had em. But TO THIS DAY, we've been hard-pressed to find a vintage joint, internet or otherwise....until now.

I was on lunch, and the handy phone-cam had to be utilized. I don't know who you are, old gray-haired mister from the eastern continents...but, sir, you are the fuckin' man today!

HELLY HANSEN'S FTW!!!





2 comments:

  1. Dude is obviously wearing the Helly Hanson that his son retired when they went out of style b/c it still serves a utility. My father still rocks a starter jacket I had in middle school when he's dressed down on cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete